SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_in_pa

Finished Basement Band Joist Insulation

Cathy_in_PA
16 years ago

I apologize in advance if IÂm neither in the right forum nor using the correct terminology. Feel free to redirect me.

Background: Because of another problem in our finished basement, we had the "opportunity" to remove some ceiling drywall. The abutting wall is drywall stud attached to an exposed cinderblock wall of a 65-year old ranch house. The floor above the basement is hardwood. We had insulation blown in several years ago, but not in the basement. There arenÂt any current humidity problems.

Problem: The band joist area has no insulation. In addition, there is 1" Â 2" gap between the interior wall drywall and top run of cinderblock (rim joist/sill plate?) because of wall studs. The above floor is extremely cold and drafty during the winter. All heating vents are in the inner portion of the house.

Questions: I just wanted to confirm that I can insulate that band joist area. Should I use faced insulation and "snug fit"? If so, should the facing be placed toward the interior or exterior? Also, is there something I can use to fill the gap between the drywall and cinderblock, as there is a lot of cold air coming from that area?

Thanks for any help, directions or advice. Sorry so long.

Cathy in SWPA

Comments (9)