SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jssaustintx

grout stains on tile?

jssaustintx
12 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I was debating grout color for my white, 1" hexagon floor tile (glazed). I went a little darker than I probably should have, a charcoal gray, but it's not too bad. I did a sample of Bill V.'s recommended Silver as a darker option than Warm Gray. It really was lovely, but still lighter than I wanted (or thought! I did) so I did samples of Gray and Charcoal Gray, too. I probably should have stuck with Gray... I went back and forth until the tile installer arrived to grout. I shrugged my shoulders and pointed to the Charcoal.Sigh.

So that's how I got where I am now. I think the guy who installed did a nice job, but on closer inspection, several tiles have dark marks on them. I don't think it's a haze per say, its more like the grout line has "leaked" onto the tile in places? I am wondering if there is a way to clean up the grout lines a bit where this has occurred- and the actual tiles themselves that look splotchy? It looks like something that you could rub right off the tile face, but to no avail. I've read a diluted solution of vinegar will clean the tile, but is bad for the grout? With 1" tile I don't have much margin for error in terms of keeping it out of the grout. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (8)