SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesmis_gw

Using an over the range microwave elsewhere?

lesmis
15 years ago

I'm new here, but wanted to get some information if I could on our nearly new Over Range Microwave.

Just over a year ago we purchased a "direct" venting microwave with the idea that we would continue that set up after our kitchen remodel.

We are in the midst of designing the new kitchen and have decided to go with a hood instead.

Does anyone know if we can still use our microwave (a GE Profile XL 1800) some place else in the kitchen? We are building a pantry/microwave cabinet and wondered if we could use this same microwave, but obviously not use the venting features anymore.

Are there "real" differences between venting microwaves vs. those that are countertop or built-in models besides that fact that the over the range type have the capability of venting?

I contacted GE and of course their standard line is "it's not manufactured to be placed anywhere but over a range," but I was curious if anyone else had run into this and how it worked out if they put it some place else in the kitchen.

If we have to purchase a new one (lesson learned) we will, but if this one can work I'd love to keep it, it's one of the few new appliances I purchased that I like!

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Kat

Comments (23)