SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
listgirl_gw

Breaking the Lease in my GROSS Aparment

listgirl
16 years ago

I signed my lease in October of 2007 and have regretted ny decision ever since. My kitchen counters, floors, clothes closets, and cabinets are wrought with mice pellets every morning, and the infestation of the mice is so extensive that I see them during the day and at night when all the lights are on. I maintain a very clean living space, but maintenance (I've called them on four seperate occasions -I keep records - only since October - only for them to arrive and leave flimsy glue traps and inform me that another maintenance person has to fill the empty holes where the mice may hide) has not taken the proper steps to prevent the infestation of mice, and their extermination techniques are menial at best. Additionally, when I moved into the apartment, the stove was absolutely filthy and filled with grease. Furthermore, the Property Manager is rude and barely responsive in her dealings with current tenants. Moving into my unit has been the worst mistake I have ever made in terms of housing. I want to break my lease but feel it's impossible since there are currently many vacancies in my unit now (I checked the apartment's website to verify this information) and people would want to know why the rent is so cheap (any wonder why, what with the crime, loud neighbors, and dirty landscape). So my other choice would be to call a lawyer and try to break a lease. But how realistically can I expect to break my lease with a lawyer's assistance? I live in Maryland and would appreciate any advice anyone could provide as far as Maryland tentant's rights and breaking a lease due to rodent problems and potential health issues. etc. Thank you.

Comments (4)

Sponsored