SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winnowing

Housing Dilemma--Seeking Advice

winnowing
18 years ago

Kind readers, I need some help from those with more experience than I. I am facing a dilemma about whether to move into a bright, sunny apartment as opposed to continuing to live in a small free standing, isolated house which lacks sunlight but is about as private and peaceful as it gets.

I've never lived in an apartment but I've always been a renter. I'm blessed to choose between two good places with big pro's and con's. The apartment is a four plex and it is an upstairs unit and the next door neighbors are all very nice people but there are a lot of them. Families, young children, enthusiastic dogs, lots of friends coming and going, lots of dinner parties. So it is loud. Super thin walls, lots of sound carrying across, and so on.

I'm concerned about my ability to adjust to what seems like lots of noise and lots of activity all around the immediate area of the apartment after having my own private space, inside and out, for so many years. Also adjusting to being more aware of the sounds I make. Right now I can pretty much make as much sound as I want at any hour of the day or night without worry of impacting anyone else.

So I'm looking for opinions from those who have "been there, done that." I'm wondering what your opinions are about the value of privacy and freedom from worry about noise in a small, somewhat cramped and very dark house versus the value of light, beautiful views, and maybe a greater sense of spaciousness in an apartment.

The main issue is light, and warmth. The apartment is at a higher elevation than the house...there is probably a 5 to 10 degree temperature difference between the two, which gives the house an advantage in the summer of course but it's a lot chillier in the winter. If I stay in the house I'll be back with questions about how to lighten it up and deal with the problem areas (such as itty bitty kitchen, among others).

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH