SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Keeping it to a dull roar

aliris19
13 years ago

I am so relieved to be starting to get my hands around a knowledge of what's going on vent-wise; now on to my specifics.

Range will be vented up an interior wall and straight through into a low corner of the attic. It's about a 6-7' run only to the roof, which is low at that point.

I had been thinking exterior blower with 8" pipe (for 36" CC range, 138K btu total (which is unlikely to ever happen -- all 6 burners on high at once? I don't think so ... more likely max would be, say, 70K(just guessing))) but that doesn't get too many cfms. So I talked my contractor into a 10" vent pipe. However the roof exit is very near to two rooms and I'm worried it will be really noisy up there.

So I was thinking ... I could add an elbow in the attic, which I know isn't ideal, but would allow me to extend the run along inside the attic which would give space for an inline silencer and increase distance from the rooms before exiting the roof.

Is that adviseable as a trade-off? I know adding an elbow will diminish functional cfm clearance back at the range and increase noise there, but it will permit for a more silent application in the end both at the range, which is less than the 8' distance suggested for this sort of installation, and also in the rooms that are near the roof exit.

Only wait -- in order to diminish noise at the rooms, would I have to be using an inline blower that could also be mounted in the attic which could cut down on noise outside on the roof, which is near the rooms?

Please note that we are in socal and windows are open year-round.

It seems to me, then, that an inline blower would be better noise-wise as well as price-wise. Though I'd probably have to up the inline cfm ante.

Do you wise ventilation experts agree? Is it worth the elbow and additional venting length to enable a silencer under these conditions? Would you change from external to attic-located inline (remote) blower?

Considering that more cfm is better in terms of noise in the long run, even if not cranked to max, what size inline blower would be recommended? That is, the 1400 cfm external blower seemed sensible to me, but going inline and adding an elbow and silencer would rev back the suck, yet be closer to the source -- so how high would you want to be at then....?

Thanks millions wise ones.

Comments (19)