SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gekko27

Noise complaints from downstairs

gekko27
10 years ago

Hi folks

I've seen a number of similar threads on this issue but just wanted to ask for some advice.

My wife and I have recently bought a first-floor flat in London. There is a couple living (renting) in the ground floor flat beneath us, and nobody above. Since moving in 8 months ago, we have received numerous noise complaints (via text and email) from the neighbours downstairs, as follows (paraphrased):

Their complaint:
The noise from your renovation work is too loud.

Our response:
Sorry, it will last no longer than 2 weeks, we'll try to keep it within reasonable working hours, and please accept this bottle of wine as an apology.

--

Complaint:
You play the saxophone during the day, we work from home sometimes, it's really disturbing.

Response:
My wife is a professional musician, she has to practise. Therefore, we've invested over £1000 in soundproof screed-board flooring for the living (practice) room, which we hope will mitigate lots of the noise.

--

Complaint:
I can still hear the sax. It's annoying.

Response:
Sorry, we've run out of money for further renovations, can you tell us your working hours and we will work around them.

Their response to the above:
No, that's not possible, our hours are flexible so we can't say in advance when we will be home.

--

Complaint:
"NO PIANO TODAY" (sent by text)

Response:
Ignored. My wife was teaching piano to her student, using a Yamaha digital piano on about half volume. In a sound-proofed room.

--

Complaint:
I can still hear that sax. Stop it.

Response:
OK, we are going to look at clearing out the loft, spurring off the hallway lighting to run mains power into there, laying down flooring, and building a small soundproof booth. This will be above our living room, which already has soundproof flooring, so there will be a whole floor in between the sax and your property. We hope to complete this work within maybe 6 weeks.

Their response:
Thanks for making an effort to resolve this. Let us know how it goes.

--

Complaint:
I can hear you walking around in hard shoes on the wooden floorboards in the bedroom, it's right above our bedroom and wakes us up. It sounds like hammers.

Response:
Sorry, this building was built in the 1870s, as you well knew when you moved in 3 years before us, so the sound-proofing is naturally inadequate. Given that the sax is the main issue here, we're going to concentrate on that. We simply do not have any more money to throw at sound-proofing materials.

--

Complaint:
The sound of people running on the stairs is awful. It wakes us up.

Response:
We carpeted the stairs as soon as we moved in, and the only people who "run" on the stairs are our cats, who weigh less than 5kg each. I highly doubt it's really that bad.

--

Complaint:
The previous neighbours made lots of noise in the kitchen, you will too. What are you going to do about it?

Response:
We've fixed down all the floorboards, laid down underlay, and laminate cork flooring on top. This should help matters.

Their response:
It did help, thanks.

--

Since all of the above (most of which I told them in person as I got sick of their snarky text messages throughout the day), we received another text at 8.40am this morning (saturday) about my wife walking around in hard shoes again. She was getting ready to go to work. She texted back, in frustration, saying "Please stop harassing us." We haven't heard from them again this morning.

My questions are:

Are we being unreasonable?
Are the neighbours being unreasonable?

We certainly feel a bit bullied by the constant complaining, that only ever comes through text or email. We have spent roughly £2000 to date on sound-proofing measures (the previous owner of 25 years certainly hadn't), and are so far the only ones who seem to have done anything to try and make things better. All the neighbours do is complain. We even offered suggestions that they could take to their landlord (who is incidentally our freeholder) to perhaps put some ceiling / wall sound-proofing solutions in their property. That was straight-up ignored.

I'm beginning to think that they've lost perspective, and now feel that they have a right to absolute silence, as opposed to reasonably low levels of noise.

Grateful for any advice on how best to try and resolve this matter!

Comments (7)

Sponsored