SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

getting a fall crop out of cherry tomatoes?

Well, I asked this in another forum, and didn't get any good info. Let me try here.

I have several large stands of cherry tomatoes (indeterminate Sweet 100s) every spring. They are hugely productive in April through June, wherein it gets to hot for fruit set. By that time, the vines are 6-7 feet long, spilling over the top of my frames.

So if I work at it, I can keep many alive through the intense summer heat until the fall. Did that this summer. About half survived. Those are fruiting and producing. Not as much as in the spring, but it's nice to see real fruit again. But they are fruiting mostly at the vine ends, where most of the greenery is (the stems lower down have died off). I can't imagine that it's easy for the plant to support that kind of growth, seven feet off the ground.

So the question is, how do you manage cherry plants during the spring and summer to get them ready to eventually start producing in the fall? Should I be keeping the vines trimmed shorter, maybe trying to encourage growth down lower? Should I "top" them occasionally in the spring to encourage growth lower down?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz