SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milton10

Problem neighbor, or am I the problem?

milton10
16 years ago

I have a problem.

I recently moved into a beautiful apartment which accepts dogs. On the very first day of moving in, I received a message from my landlord that my downstairs neighbor called to complain that my dog was crying. Feeling mortified, I told the landlord that it may be because of the new surroundings for my dog. Well, after that the downstairs tenant complained EVERY DAY about something, either he could hear my dog walking or crying.

Well, I did everything to calm her down, put soft music on for her (he complained about that too), put her on expensive calming medication, etc. But he kept complaining and complaining. At first glance I thought that I had a problem, but I looked a bit into the history of my apartment and I found out that the downstairs tenant has run off three other tenants! From what I understand, he kept complaining about the music being too loud, dogs crying or barking, walking in heels, anything!

A little more investigating and I found out that he is running a professional recording studio from his apartment downstairs. From what he told me, every sound, footsteps, dogs barking, even soft music, gets picked up by his microphones and ruins his recordings. He even went so far as to ask the apartment office if they could block off the back stairs (they are against his back wall) to stop sound from people walking up and down them from entering into his apartment (which they of course declined).

I did some more checking of my lease and local zoning laws. I found out that there is nothing in the lease that would prevent him from having a business in his apartment. However, when I called the CityÂs Zoning Department, I found out that the area that I live in is zoned residential only and that he is operating his recording studio illegally. I did not press a formal complaint with them (not yet) but mentioned it to the leasing office. The leasing office pleaded with me to NOT press a formal complaint and start an all out war with my downstairs neighbor.

Now the leasing office requested, but did not demand, that I find other housing for my dog. I have complied, but have mixed feelings about it. I have not heard of any more complaints, but have a feeling that he will complain again when I walk to hard or play my radio above a very low level.

This leads me to my main question. Am I being a nuisance, a loud and inconsiderate neighbor? Or is his business needs creating an unreasonable need for silence that is infringing on my rights as a tenant?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions