SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

My 2 next door neighbors are having a major problem

ilovemytrees
11 years ago

And I'm scared it's going to affect us too.

My husband and I were out planting our 2 new trees about an hour ago. Outside the sky is completely white overcast because a cold front is moving in bringing thunderstorms later. It was lightly raining when we were planting. The perfect time to get the trees in.

Anyway, while we were in the light rain, one of the neighbors was pulling out and driving by. When he saw us he pulled up on the side of the road in front of our house, and turned off the car. He was in the mood to talk, but we needed to dig some dirt across the other side of the yard to refill the planting holes, he caught us at a bad time. It looked like it was going to downpour at any moment So we didn't really want to talk right then.

He said he saw me this morning out watering my trees and commented it's about time we got some rain, huh? And I said yeah, we haven't had rain in weeks, and he said yeah, my well is going dry intermittently, and Mr. C's (our other neighbor) has gone completely dry.

I know I saw people working on Mr. C's well the past couple of days. It's a well that in the spring they charge it and in the fall they drain it? I don't know, I can't remember exactly, but anyway there were a bunch of guys frantically working on his well today and the last few days which is not normal. Now I know why. And here I was watering happily for 10 hours a day in front of him, and I feel terrible about that. He must have been (understandably)swearing at me under his breath.

But more than that I am wondering why dh and I have so much water, and a solid water pressure. Why aren't we having the same problem? I guess for all I know we will have the same problem. :(

Our neighbor said his well has been having problems because of a lack of rain. But how can that be, we live on a lake, isn't that our aquifer? And if the cause is lack of rain, why aren't we having the same issue?

Should I continue to water my trees in light of my neighbor's problems or can some neighbors have a well problem and not anyone else? Thanks in advance.

Comments (32)