SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrtimewise_gw

Should I buy a Dacor double oven extended warranty?

mrtimewise
14 years ago

We installed a Dacor MOV230S double oven last spring. We bought the oven from a business that had closed and the price was incredibly low (75% off). The oven came with a full one year warranty.

Dacor sells their own 3 additional years extended warranty (total of 4 years) for this oven at a price of $399. This might seem expensive, but keep in mind the list price for this oven was over $6K. Also, since we paid such a low price for the oven I can hardly complain about a pricey, but long term, warranty extension.

According to my original conversations with Dacor last spring I had until the end of March, 2010, to purchase the warranty extension - i.e., 30 days before the original 1 year warranty would expire.

A couple weeks ago I received in the mail a reminder of the availability of this extended warranty suggesting that I had until January 28th to make the decision. Since this conflicted with the "cut-off" date I had originally understood to be the case, I called Dacor to question the change.

What I was told was interesting. Apparently, extended warranty notification letters are sent out on behalf of Dacor by a company named "Service Net Warranty, LLC". And it is Service Net who actually is warrantying the product, not Dacor. Service Net will be the company who arranges repairs during the extended warranty time period.

This arrangement is the case regardless of whether I were to sign up for the extended warranty on the Dacor web site, via a phone conversation, or by mail.

Also, Dacor did verify that I really had until the end of March to sign-up for the warranty extension. The price of $399 is currently still valid, and there is no expected increase in the warranty cost...although there is no guarantee the price would not increase between now and the end of March. Apparently Service Net does like to send the mail notification early enough to allow the Dacor product owners plenty of time to consider the option.

So...have any GW readers had any experience with Service Net Warranty, LLC as to responsiveness, proper diagnosis of a problem, who they actually send to your home, timeliness, etc?

BTW...we did have one warranty claim on the oven immediately upon its installation. Dacor installed a new oven control panel that would beep upon the meat probe reaching the programmed temperature. As documented on other GW Appliance Forum posts, the early manufactured Dacor wall ovens with the Discovery controllers did not beep as per the user guide. Our oven was an early production model, so the upgrade brought the oven into spec. Other than this really minor problem that was solved within 10 days of my report to Dacor, the oven has been absolutely trouble free and has performed wonderfully.

Inquiring minds want to know...Should I buy a Dacor double oven extended warranty?

Also...we do not intend to use the oven's self-cleaning feature at any time. I've heard too many stories of oven failures due to the overheating that the electronics experience during the self-clean cycle...in all brands of ovens, not specifically Dacor.

Comments (5)