SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan3733_gw

$15,000 appliance budget - please comment on my choices!

susan3733
15 years ago

Hello all -

Thanks so much for the advice I've read over the years on this great forum! We did our first major home renovation in 2003, which was the first time I felt lucky to find all of you experts. After all that work (and since adopting a couple of wonderful kids), we had to move to a larger house...we seem to be destined to find only fixer-uppers, so here we are embarking on yet another major remodel.

I'm getting close to ordering my appliances for the kitchen, and I'd love your feedback on our choices. My total appliance budget is $15,000.

Between the needs of our family and the layout of the kitchen, I'm limited to a range instead of rangetop and wall oven combo. We all love to cook, and spend a lot of time over family meals, so the kitchen will definitely be the major hub of our home.

Here's what I've got picked out so far -

RANGE: DCS 48" all-gas range w/5-burners and griddle. I found this at Expo being liquidated for 10% off (and it will be further discounted in the future, if someone else doesn't buy it first) so the price is now $5939. I thought about buying the new GE Monogram dual fuel for $8000, but now I'm having a very hard time justifying the price difference (especially because we're not huge bakers). Also, I wouldn't know where to steal the increased cost from elsewhere in the appliance budget.

RANGE HOOD: I'm looking at the Broan E6048TSS (48" wide, 24" deep with 1200 cfm blower). It will be wall-mounted and vent directly outside without any loops or curves. I can't find another hood that comes close to this price, which is $1400. In our last house, we had VAH, but I felt like it was ridiculously expensive and honestly, it was neither quieter nor more effective than others I've used. I've never owned a Broan, but I can't seem to beat the price for what I get with this model.

REFRIGERATOR: GE Monogram 42" side by side model, which our local dealer can sell me for $4276 because it was ordered incorrectly for someone else. It's all stainless, and although I was hoping to buy the panel-ready model to blend in w/our cabinets and eliminate some of the overwhelmingly metal look of the kitchen, the fridge is on a corner wall and won't be seen "head on" anyway. Also, I feel like I can't pass up the savings on this one. I think I'm saving almost $2000 by buying the floor model (also, it doesn't have water dispenser, but that's okay w/us).

DISHWASHER: Miele Optima model G2472SCVi. This is the one with the built-in water softener. Our last house had a Bosch, which worked fine in terms of washing and was super quiet, but our water is so hard that it wrecked a lot of my glasses. I now know to make sure the water is not too hot, but in addition, I think the water softener could be a big help. The cost is a splurge - my husband thinks I'm nuts for spending $1600 on the dishwasher, but I think it will be worth it if it saves our glasses.

MICROWAVE: Sharp microwave drawer with the automatic pull. I'm only considering this because I don't have a lot of wall space and need to put the micro in the island. I couldn't find any other manufacturers that are making micro drawers. Cost is $739.

So, with tax, we are hovering around $15,000 for all appliances. I'll probably pull the trigger on the order in a couple weeks (or sooner if I need to jump on the discounted DCS range and GE fridge). In the meantime, I would GREATLY appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Susan

Comments (11)