SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiagirl_gw

Replacement ceramic cooktop

californiagirl
15 years ago

This board is my lifesaver for helping me help my older parents replace their dying high end appliances. Hope to find some help with my mom's latest requests.

She has a Gaggenau electric cooktop from 1987 that she wants to replace with a ceramic cooktop. The current unit is a 33.5" model and it doesn't look like that size is made by any manufacturer any more. It's set into a Corian countertop and is so thin that it has top drawers directly beneath it. Not sure what the size of the cutout in the Corian is.

It looks like she must either choose a 36" or 30" cooktop now. Who is making the best ceramic cooktops and what are the considerations for replacing the current electric cooktop? (She understands that her range hood might be slightly undersized for the 36".)

The Gaggenau 36" ceramic appears to be $2999, but from reading old posts I see that Bosch is actually the manufacturer (all same company, including Thermador). How are the Bosch and Gaggenau features different for the same size cooktops?

Recommendations?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz