SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

advice... my first apartment

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Hello all. I am a 22 year old college student. I have always lived at home or with "other people" free of rent. Of course that also same with a price... no space to call my own, no privacy and such. Well, the people I live with now are getting a much smaller house and the time has come for me to get my first apartment. I have decided to NOT get a roomate. Firstly, because I need something that I can call "mine" for once. Also, I don't want to have to worry about someone else not paying their part of the rent, or not being able to get in the bathroom when I want to and things of that sort. I already found the apartments that I want to live in and they are affordable AND not in the "nasty" section of town. I don't know what is typical (I live in Florida), but my rent is going to be 410 for a studio. The one bedrooms are on a 5 month waiting list, but when I am able to transfer, it will only be 465 a month. I make 350-500 dollars per week... I work full time and go to school part time, so I should be able to survive. I'll just have to stop eating at Ruths Chris every night :O) Just kidding.

So, just need some general advice since I've never done this before. How to make the most out of the small space? Should I get a top or bottom floor, or somewhere in the middle... or first available? What questions should I ask before I give my depost to hold a unit (even the studios are on a couple month waiting list). Going to have a gas stove for the first time in my life, so need advice about that as well. Tips on budgeting and balancing so I can eat and pay the rent? There is a laundry center at the apartment complex, but I was thinking of getting one of those portable washer/drier all in one units. The units do not have hook ups, but the model I am considering hooks to a faucet and is also a ventless drier. What would you suggest for laundry? Anything else I should know? I already know that I am going to buy earplugs so that my neighbors "music" will not disturb my studying or sleeping. I hope I don't have other peoples' smoke blowing into my apartment like some on this apartment... I'll just die (literally... that's what it does!). Thanks for any advice!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz