SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillianma

Would you reupholster circa 1910 chairs?

gillianma
17 years ago

The dining room chairs in question (set of 4) are English red oak. I'm sorry, I have not yet figured out photos here, but I will try to describe them.

They are ornately but somewhat naively carved. They have the original painted (dark green) canvas seats and backs, which after 20 years of our use (yes, we use our antique and "antique in waiting" furniture)are getting increasingly frayed. One also has a sagging seat. The backs strike me as quite unusual, with decorative spindles, a canvas insert, a fleur de lys motive . . . I'm thinking that they were probably not terribly upscale when made. I must say that they are unusual (I have never seen anything quite like them in my auction lurking in the US) and are very pretty.

My best guess, for want of any better info, is that they are circa 1910. For those who might have better info, the label is "Brough Bros. Cabinet makers and Upholsterers. London Road, Liverpool." I have not been able to track this down.

DH and I bought these chairs as poverty-stricken grad students 20 years ago. DH wants to smarten them up with new upholstery or, perhaps, recycle them. I'd really like to keep them, and do not want to reupholster at all. I love them the way they are, sagging seat, fraying canvas and all.

Arguments either way are welcome. It will be grist to the mill on an ongoing (pleasant but passionate) discussion.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (4)