SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_wa

Late PNW Grow Report

kathy_wa
16 years ago

We had our first dip into the below 32 degree temps last week, so after the first night I harvested the remainder of my tomatoes, green or not. They seemed to have escaped the freeze thank goodness, no rotting yet.

So here's what I grew this year:

QFL (Quedlinger Frue Liebe - sp?) seeds from GW Jeri-OR

Great tasting, early cold tolerant productive smaller red tomato. Reminds me of Stupice somewhat. Keep very well! Will grow again.

IPB (Imur Prior Beta) - seed source Ed Hume. I've had these for a while, finally grew them out. OK taste, productive & cold tolerant small red tomato.

Sasha's Altai. mid-size red tomato - not very productive for me at all, but what I got was quite tasty. I should try again in a better spot. Reminds me of Moskovich in taste and grow pattern.

Dona. mid-size red tomato. Yuk, blah. Not productive, early or cold tolerant. Not the tomato for my shady conditions.

Rostova a.k.a. Sunset's Red Horizon. heart-shaped mid-size red. Not early or productive for me, in fact pathetic plant. Have read better results this year from fellow PNW folks so should try again.

Stick - the novelty plant with "poodle" foliage. I tried to grow this last year, but got all regular leaf. This year I got almost all the correct plant. Well, it didn't like me and I got maybe 2 tomatoes out of 5 plants. Nice novelty but...

Fireworks Original - source my own saved seed orig. TGS. Great tasty workhorse as usual. mid to small size red tomato, large clusters most with pointed end.

Stupice - source my own saved seed orig. TGS. The only tomato to be consistently grown in my garden every year.

Queen Mary - source mary_in_pnw GW. Finally grew this out, very nice small to mid-size red tomato! Medium productive, cold tolerant. Am saving seeds.

Jaune Flamme - second year of growing, seed source Lieven David Belgium, GW. Very tasty small-medium orange - sweet. Early, productive, and cold tolerant. Can't ask for more!

Santa F1 cherry. Hey, I just like this one for snacking. I still have a few seeds from T&M that I paid a fortune for and I'll probably grow one plant a year until they're gone.

BWxStupice - seed source Carolyn. 3 plants. I dropped back to my 2005 seeds from this project, as the 2006 seeds got mixed up so I'm sort of stalled at year 5. That's OK - the tomatoes are very tasty, plants are early, cold tolerant and medium productive - very cute small-brandywine shape.

Taxi - seed source Territorial. OK this had a bad spot but... it was a weak plant, tons of ber, I didn't get one edible tomato off of it. Won't grow again.

Noir de Crimee - seed source mary_in_pnw, GW. Black mid to large size. I grew this previously, and it was hugely productive. This year it was medium productive and still excellent - I saved seed. Note: it was previously determined in years past between Carolyn & Mary that this was not the "real" NDC. Original seed source for Mary was Chuck Wyatt.

Well that's it, folks. One more year gone by the wayside. I need to fix my old poly "greenhouse" so I can actually close the doors and retain heat again next year, for a better tomato crop.

Comments (5)