SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duveen_gw

Double Convection Oven Selection

duveen
11 years ago

My wife and I are in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel. This board was instrumental in helping my sister plan her kitchen remodel and she suggested it to me. What a find! I have learned so much.

We have settled on a 36" six-burner range top by Wolf. Now, we are focusing on the choice of a 30" double wall oven. We have remodeling bids that will allow us to spend either more on appliances and less on everything else or the reverse. Part of that equation will be the money devoted to our ovens. Here are our options as we see them.

First, we can go big, choosing we think between Wolf and Thermador. Wolf's reputation for the quality of both product and service is sterling and warranty is three years. Thermador is a respected brand, but less so it seems, and their warranty is two years.

Double Convection:
Wolf L-Series DO30F/S, $6,800
Thermador Professional PODC302J, $6,000
Thermador Masterpiece MED302JP, $5,300

Single Convection:
Wolf E-Series, DO30-2U/S, $5,900
Thermador Masterpiece ME302JP, $4,400

That is a pretty wide discrepancy in price between the top Wolf and the bottom Thermador. We would love to have double convection, but the second such oven would likely only be used a couple times a month at best. Has anyone had negative experiences with either the rotating control panel on the Wolf L-Series or the rotisserie on the Thermador Professional Series? (I know that the E-series had some shut-off issues that seem to have been resolved.) Getting the Professional Series Thermador for the E-Series Wolf price is terribly tempting! (I did just read in another thread that Wolf may be replacing the L-series with the M-series. This may allow for "current inventory" discounts on the L-series. I will check into this!)

Second, we can go middle-of-the-road, choosing between Bosch and Electrolux. On this board, Electrolux seems to have the better reputation of the two, but I have read good things and bad about both brands. Both share a one-year warranty.

Bosch 800-Series (Double Convection) HBL8650UC, $3,000
Electrolux w/Wave Touch(Single Convection) EW30EW65GS, $2,900

One big difference between both Bosch & Electrolux and Wolf & Thermador is that on the former brands, only the top oven is self-cleaning. On the latter brands, both ovens do so. After reading this board, I am pulled in both directions about whether it is wise to use this feature, although I certainly want to! And if I can, I want to be able to do so with both ovens all things being equal.

You all obviously are passionate about cooking and getting the most from your appliances. My wife and I love to cook and often cook together. We don not bake often, however. I would take any recommendations you have to offer, either between ovens within a price category or amongst all of the ovens listed. I have spent more mental energy about this oven selection than on the rest of decisions made thus far put together!

Finally, I have been so impressed by and grateful to those of you who returned to the board to post on your selections months or even years after they were installed. It has been great to get feedback from those "in the know." I promise to do the same. Thank you!

Comments (19)