SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Shading Container Tomato

saoodhashim
10 years ago

As a new gardener in Saudi Arabia and starting off with container vegetable gardening, I bought a few young plants from the local garden shop which would be around a month old (as of now) and around 8 to 10 inches tall. Expected to fruit in late November - early December

With temperatures over here in Saudi Arabia reaching 100F every other day and this would continue until the close of October (when temprature should not be rising above 90F and gradually falling to reach highs of 70F in January), I have put on a 50% shade cloth which is on my containerized plants (pepper, tomatoes and cucumber) from around 10 am (when the mercury rises above 90F) until 2pm. After which the high building next to my apartment stops any direct sunlight.

The plants receive direct sunlight for about 4 hours and then they are in 50% shaded sunlight for 4 hours. I was wondering, if the 6-8 hours rule of direct sunlight is being fulfilled when I put them in shaded sunlight. Will it grow at the normal pace to produce fruits on its time? Will it infact produce fruit? Will the production be limited? Alternatively, would this boost production (as I have read in some posts on the internet).

Any help / suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Saood

This post was edited by saood on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 0:00

Comments (7)