SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taku_gw

Refund of security deposit - best way to approach the landlord

taku
16 years ago

HereÂs the situation. I moved out of the house I was renting at the end of March, and I performed a walk-through with the landlord on last day of March. The landlord was given 30 days written notice, as required per the terms of the agreement (the landlord at first seemed confused, and thought that I wanted to move out at the end of AprilÂ). During the walk-through the landlord noticed that I used the touch-up paint that came with the house, to paint over where I filled in the nail holes with drywall filler (wall is a different color than the filler). It was noticed that by the landlord that the paint didnÂt quite match the color of the wall, and he said that he would have to repaint the walls I used the touch-up paint, and that he would have to deduct the cost of repainting from my security deposit. I said, let me see what you paid for this if youÂre going to deduct anything (as required per the Arizona Tenant law), and he said "fine." Per the tenant law in Arizona, the landlord has 14 business days to refund the tenantÂs deposit, or the former tenant may sue for damages in small claims court. Furthermore, the landlord is allowed to counterclaim the tenant if thereÂs a claim for damages, past due rents, ECT. What would be the best approach to this situation, as the landlord acts like he doesnÂt understand the wording of the law, and I havenÂt received either the deposit or a list of a list of damages as required by law?

Comments (6)

Sponsored