SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleepless_st

Tenant's rights vs. landlord's

sleepless_st
19 years ago

I'm moving out of my apartment in about a week. A couple of days ago I came home to find a message from the apartment manager that someone was interested in my unit. I called the apartment manager back and found out that he had already shown my place to the prospective tenant. The time between the phone call and my arrival home was less than two hours.

I was a little annoyed that I had not received more notice and did some research. According to state law, tenants must be given at least a day's notice before their residence can be shown.

I printed this information out and gave it to the apartment manager with a request that he give me 24 hours' notice before letting someone in to my place. He did not take it well. He said "Fine. Consider this your notice. I might be bringing someone by tomorrow." And he added that he would just leave me a message everyday saying that he might be bringing someone by. Which essentially puts me back on square one - not knowing when someone is going to be viewing my apartment.

I'm worried that the apartment manager will be vindictive and not return my deposit. Should I write a letter to the landlord explaining what happened?

Comments (16)

Sponsored