SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeybear20

My first apartment - question about noise :)

honeybear20
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm moving next month and I will be living in my first apartment, so I have a question about noise. :)

First, some background information - my name is Jen and I'm a 20 year old female, and I'm moving from Sioux Falls, South Dakota to Denver, Colorado, for school, work, and a fresh start. My boyfriend of five years recently moved there during Thanksgiving weekend too (we decided to move there together, but due to my job I had to wait a bit longer before I could get out there), so he will be there with me as well.

My boyfriend and I aren't planning to live together at the moment, but he will probably spend the night frequently and may move in with me in the future. Prior to moving to Denver, my boyfriend lived in an apartment for a few years and I spent the night frequently, so I'm already sort of used to apartment living. However, he lived in a fourplex and I'm living in an actual big complex, so I'm assuming a complex will naturally be a bit different (and that's why I'm trying to prepare myself).

I'm not sure if we just had great upstairs neighbors or if the building just had amazing insulation, but with the exception of the water running, we never heard his upstairs neighbors at all and I don't think they ever heard us. We considered ourselves to be good neighbors for the most part, too - never talked loudly, never slammed doors, never used his surround sound stereo, were cautious of our "intimate" moments, etc - but I'm terrified that I will cause trouble for someone in an apartment.

My boyfriend and I are mostly "day" people - we're both students, and work full time. However, on weekends, we consider ourselves "night owls" - big, big night owls, since sometimes we'll be up until 4 or 5 AM. We never have "parties", we mostly just spend time talking, watching movies (quietly), and hanging out, but I was wondering if just staying up that late could cause a problem for my neighbors?

My main concern is that my boyfriend and I do like to enjoy a few frozen drinks on the weekend, and while we're NEVER loud or obnoxious, our blender sometimes is. We only need to use it for about 30 seconds for one batch of drinks, but would 30 seconds of blending around midnight be too much? Would that be grounds for trouble or a noise complaint? I've been thinking about investing money in a low-noise blender (I have yet to find one so far), but I was just wondering how you all would feel if you heard a blender for a few seconds late at night (the lady above us in the fourplex never complained, but like I said, we never heard any of her appliances or television or anything so unfortunately I'm betting that it was the wonderful insulation).

I'm willing to work with my neighbors if they happen to have a problem with it, including paying more for a new blender or going away to a friend's house and spending the night there, so please don't get the wrong impression of me. I'm so scared of appearing inconsiderate to my neighbors and I don't want to cause any problems for them at all, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for listening :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored