SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mn343780

Apartment Advice/Laws

mn343780
12 years ago

Back story - My husband, myself and my young daughter moved into a large 3 bdrm apt in September of this year. There was no electricity/lighting on while we looked at the apt, so couldn't really see all the details of it until we moved in, but we were happy with the size/location/and what we thought were the neighbors.

We were told that we would be living downstairs from the owner's son and new wife and they were both school teachers.

We moved in and the house reaked of cat urine and there was pee on all the base boards. We didn't smell it when we looked at the apt because they had all the doors/windows open. We find out it was the neighbor's 4 dogs, who would run through the apt even though she moved next door. It was gross having to clean that up. The floors in the dining room were also heavily urine stained. I bought several pet cleaners and it wouldn't come up. The apt was gross when we started cleaning and I was shocked that they wouldn't have had it cleaned prior to us moving in. It also took an entire month to get the smell out and to stop sneezing - I'm allergic to dogs/cats.

2 weeks later we find out they have a roommate which was a friend of theirs which was ok, but then we also found out that there was an older man staying there 2 nights a week. And the two kids were also not school teachers like they said, they had just graduated college and didn't have full-time jobs.

The house is also all hardwood flooring throughout, you can hear everything that goes on everywhere inside the house. Sometime in October, we inquired that if we paid for them, if we could have carpeting put in (to help with noise and cover up urine stains on floor) - they said no. We have asked them about even having the floors redone - they said no about that too, but acknowledged that they were animal urine stains.

It's also impossible to sleep here. It's so loud at night here, it's awful. We have changed our bedroom 3 times since moving in, and have been sleeping on the couch frequently just to try and get some sleep.

In December, the roommate moved out and 2 strange women were staying in the house, and then suddenly an older woman. We thought maybe it was family or friends, but they weren't. Apparently, each individual room upstairs is being rented out as a room share. The landlord's son and wife are moving out as well, so each room will be rented out. I am not comfortable with the constant coming and going of people, most of which will not be staying here that long. It's not what I feel we moved into and with my daughter in the house, I feel like this is a safety issue. Especially since they have already had stuff stolen out of the basement, and our washing machine/dryer was used.

We are installing security cameras within the apt and have already moved our stuff upstairs that was in the basement.

We signed a 12 month lease. It doesn't seem to have any loop holes to get out of it without owing them the remainder of the year's rent. What can we do in this situation? I definitely do not want to stay.

Comments (5)

Sponsored