SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wduzak

More on austex05 snake problem

wduzak
18 years ago

I've never been a believer in "snake repellents" but I've seen some of the research on "Snake-a-Way" and below are the conclusions. I'm assuming the research is not bogus, so austex05 might want to try it since that one of three species it was 100% effective with was a Garter snake.

Anybody know anything about how good this stuff is?

Warren

Snakes

Repelling Snakes with Snake-A-Way

Poisonous Snakes Snake Trap Snake Repellent Article

Testing

Over ten years of independent research and follow-up tests were also conducted by DR. T's Nature Products. Inc. The effectiveness of the repellent is demonstrated by the following experiments performed with various species, and the products has been found to have a rate of efficacy that varies from 17% to 100% depending on the individual species.

87.5% Aakistrodon contortirix Copperhead

75% Coluber constrictor Black Racer

91% Crotalus adamanteus Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake

91% Crotalus atrox Western diamondback rattlesnake

91% Crotalus horridus Timber rattlesnake

91% Crotalus lepidus Rock rattlesnake

91% Crotalus ruber Red diamondback rattlesnake

91% Crotalus viridis Pacific rattlesnake

17% Elaphe guttata Corn or red rat snake

21% Aakistrdon platyrhinos Cotton mouth

47% Elaphe obsoleta Yellow rat snake

100% Heterodon platyrhinos Eastern hognose snake

100% Micrurus fulvius Eastern coral snake

50% Phython molorus Burmese python

100% Thamnophis marcianus Checkered garter snake

In as much as the normal behavior of snakes is to move slowly in a deliberate and investigatory manner, the experiments were devised to test the snakes responses to the repellent in as near to normal conditions as possible. In use, the granular product is spread on the ground across an area where it is desired to prevent or discourage snakes from entering. Preferably, the granules should be spread in a strip 10-30 centimeters wide, although generally the wider the strip the better. In this manner, an odor barrier is provided that snakes are reluctant to cross. Additionally, a smaller amount of the product may be scattered in a diffuse or non-continuous manner just beyond the strip, on the side away from the area to be protected. This added scattering of the repellent serves to lessen the probability of occasional snakes wandering beyond the strip. After 2 months, a group of 16 snakes was again re-tested. In this test the branches of the "Y" were reversed, so that the repellent strip was at the branch opposite from that in the previous test. Moreover, the repellent used was five weeks old ( i.e., it had been on the ground outside, but protected from heavy rainfall). Eleven snakes exhibited overt avoidance of the of the repellent, and four snakes crossed the repellent. Two of the snakes which crossed the repellent exhibited avoidance behavior first, eventually moving across the repellent strip while rubbing the head against the ground, seemingly attempting to escape from the repellent. Repelled snakes showed no hesitation to enter the opposite (benign) branch of the "Y".

Comments (3)

Sponsored