SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Madame Alexander and a Hess Fire Truck

riverrat1
17 years ago

If anyone has any information on this kind of Madame Alexander fabric doll, I would appreciate it. So far information is hard to come by.

{{gwi:1373408}}

{{gwi:1373409}}

{{gwi:1373410}}

This fire truck is another item I'd like to have more information on.

{{gwi:1373411}}

Thanks for anything you can tell me about these items.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Where did you get the doll? Is there any marking on the doll itself? I am thinking perhaps someone put that tag on another doll....but I also can find no doll named just "Funny"...there is Funny Maggie, which has a plastic face. (Sounds to me like you need that one!)
    I would email a doll collector site and ask and send them the picture.
    Doin't know about the fire truck...but I do know that Hess Oil has put out a series of trucks...but didn't know there was a firetruck among them.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Funny Maggie

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

http://www.hesstoys.com/trucks.html

try this site for the cloth dolls, or go directly to madamealexander.com - my sister is a doll collector and has been for about 45+ years. no cloth doll though.
    http://apinkprincess.net/store/home.php?cat=272

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

oh, i wanted to add that i sure hope your hess is the rare one...what value!

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, I do need that Funny Maggie doll! LOL!

I've been cleaning out the attic on the old side of the house. I found this doll wrapped in a heavy plastic bag that had big snaps on it. I don't think the doll is old, maybe from the early 70's, but it's interesting I can't find any information of a rag(?) doll from Madame Alexander. Upon closer inspection I found a tag sewn onto the back of the dress she is wearing. Sorry for the fuzzy picture. It says "Funny" by Madame Alexander New York, U. S. A.
    {{gwi:1373412}}

And the paper tag is on a pink string just wrapped around her wrist. It is not elastic.
    {{gwi:1373413}}

I'm now off to look at the links earthy! Thanks for the information Linda and earthy. I certainly appreciate it. I hope find out something else about this doll, she is so cute!

• lindac
    17 years ago

Appears to me you have a $700 fire truck.
    And likely a doll valued at about the same.
    Linda c

• catlady15
    17 years ago

No matter if the doll doesn't come up with a big value I think she is so so precious/can you tell I love baby dolls and collect them.Now do not get me wrong the doll may be worth a bunch.But I am saying I would keep her and love her.LOL.She seems to be very well taken care of and loved at one time.I would love to be doing what you are doing,going thur a old house.We do that too alot.If walls could talk.lol...when we clean the old houses.We find all kinds of things inside the walls when we clean them,like newpapers,etc.,.I have heard they can be of some value too.
    thanks for sharing this doll and firetruck.Blessings in your finds.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

riverrat, i found this link which discusses cloth dolls and there's also a message board.

An excellent reference book for the cloth Alexander dolls is: Alexander's Rag Line by Marsha T. Hunter.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.geocities.com/heartland/hills/5748/Cloth2.htm

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i found this:

Category Doll
    Pattern or Item Madame Alexander
    Description Funny, Cloth, Box
    Year 1995
    Price $90.00

• sameboat
    17 years ago

Every year Hess is still putting out a new truck. This year Santa brought my son a Hess Truck - it's a truck with a helicopter, too.

Your Hess Truck is from 1970, originally sold for $1.69, and is a replica of the fire engine used at the Hess refinery in Perth Amboy, N.J.. One just sold on eBay (in perfect condition) for $505.

Here's what one site says about it:

This bright red fire truck was a replica of the fire engine used at the Hess refinery in Perth Amboy, N.J..
    This 11 inch long pumper truck has a detachable extending ladder and hoses on either side. A swiveling water cannon sits on top. This was easily broken off. Finely detailed.
    Marked "Louis Marx and Company, Inc. on the bottom chromed chassis along with the date in Roman Numerals "MCMLXX" (1970). One of the hardest Hess Trucks to find it is a popular cross-collectible with fire truck and other specialty collectors. The box features pictures of the fire truck pumper and Hess refinery scene. The box is marked "Hess Oil and Chemical Division, Amerada Hess Corporation. In 1971 reissued this same fire truck. Sometime during that year the Company must have run out of the silk-screened boxes and substituted a plain white box with a sticker on the top that reads "Seasons Greetings". This box is extremely hard to find.

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you earthydelights and sameboat for the additional information.