SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbgemini2

Green Tree Frog Tadpoles in Above Ground Pool

dbgemini2
17 years ago

For the second year in a row, it's getting cold here in Rhode Island. It's mid-October and I have an above-ground pool filled with hundreds of tadpoles, some with back legs and maybe 10 with back and front. There is no way for them to get out of the pool on their own when they are ready. As the nighttime temps begin dipping to the 40s, I'm noticing some are dying and there is now some cannibalism. For about a month, I have been feeding them floating tadpole sticks (which they seem to love) to supplment the dwindling bug supply.

What are the chances that these guys will survive the winter in my pool if I don't intervene? There seems to be plenty of algae on the bottom of the pool as well as some leaves, but I don't know if this is sufficient. I normally shock the pool before closing it for the winter but obviously won't if these guys are in there. Would moving them to a pond help? Around here, ponds tend to freeze over, although the ice is generally not thick enough for skating. I know frogs will hibernate but not sure if tadpoles can do the same. Last year our first snowfall was late October and in Rhode Island temps vary from as low as 0 to the 40s over the winter.

Last year I brought about 200 tadpoles indoors - only about about 10 lived to become frogs. I don't know if I waited too long since so many had died in the pool or if I did something wrong. I fed the little froglets small fruit flies over the winter and waited until the spring to let them go free.

Just looking for some guidance on how best to help these little guys survive. I've scoured websites but find lots of differing information and nothing that seems to pertain specifically to tadpoles surviving a winter in New England.

Thank you!

Dianne

Coventry, Rhode Island

Comments (2)

Sponsored