SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_mo

Arizona Trip Report (part 2)

wayne_mo
18 years ago

On August 6th my wife, my parents and I took a morning hike to look for Banded Rock Rattlesnakes. 3 minutes into the trail I spotted this nice Blacktail Rattlesnake resting under a rock.

{{!gwi}}

Also on the hike:

THIS ROCK IS ALL MINE!! What would you rate this Yarrow's Spiny Lizard on a scale of 1 to 10?

{{!gwi}}

If you rated it a 6 your tastes might be in line with the graduate students studying Yarrow's in the area ;-). We found this Yarrow's along a hike and assume it is being studied by herpetologists at the SW Research Station.

{{!gwi}}

My brother had never seen a Blacktail Rattlesnake in the wild so we returned to the same hike in the afternoon. The snake was near the same rock and further out in the open.

{{!gwi}}

On the same hike we found this cool Mountain Short-Horned Lizard

{{!gwi}}

That night the snakes (Diamondbacks and Mojaves) were on the move. In fact the rest of the trip was characterized by rain in the afternoon and evening and Diamondbacks and Mojaves on the move.

Here's a picture taken on August 7th as we moved out of a midday thunderstorm in 69 degree weather. Seventeen minutes earlier we were driving in 99 degree weather. 30 degree change in temp in just over 15 minutes.

{{!gwi}}

And that night we saw two baby mojaves back to back at 8:30 and 8:33

A baby mojave:

{{!gwi}}

Trip Report Part 3 coming soon.

Comment

Sponsored