SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purplerainbow

I think it's a skink

PurpleRainbow
18 years ago

Hi. I have an unexpected visitor in my house and managed to get it in a box for the night.

This is a lizard, maybe 6" or 7" long. It looks a lot like skink pics I've found online, but I can't tell by what I'm reading whether they live here in Western Washington (Seattle area) or not. I'd post a pic if I could.

It's a light brown or tan color and has a dark, maybe black, stripe down each side. The stripe has an almost checkerboard appearance probably from the scales and the way light reflects off them, starts at the eye, widens on the body, then narrows again and runs the lenghth of the tail. The tail gets really skinny and just tapers off. The head comes to a rounded point. It was on my kitchen floor and when I saw it again later it was kind of wrapped around the cord of the fan in my living room. It moves so quick, I'm amazed I caught it. It looks like a snake with little legs, it's knees (?) make little upside down Vs and it has 5 toes on each foot.

If you have any idea what this critter is, I'd like to know. Otherwise can you direct me to sites that might help ID it? I'm going to try searching some more. I won't keep it boxed long. It's so cute, would be lovely in a terrarium but it might not be legal to keep it and I think it would be happier outside anyhow. Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored