SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylandmojo

What is causing the decline of the Eastern Box Turtle??

marylandmojo
18 years ago

I guess I'm the newbie that wouldn't go away (tee hee), but thought while I was here, I'd ask the above question. Of course I'm aware that more and more automobiles kill more and more box turtles each year, but wanted to share a few other observations. Where tree cutters had just cut timber on about a 100-acre plot, in Virginia, last Fall, I saw 6 or 7 dead Eastern Box Turtles--dead for no apparant reason.

Their shells, top and bottom, were intact. If it weren't for the fact that they were empty (and stinking, from their recent demise), you would think they were live turtles. I saw no marks on their shells, no holes, as are found on many expired turtle's shells. I found these all in about a 1000 square foot area, of all things--all had been mature Box Turtles. Anybody have a clue why such a thing happened?? (P.S. I'm forever stopping on country roads and getting Box Turtles out of the road. I put them on the side of the road that they are headed for. I notice there actually seem to be gumps who go out of their way to run over them. No help there for a declining species.)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio