SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylandmojo

Huge turtle laying eggs in sand...

marylandmojo
18 years ago

I'm totally new to this forum--post on the Birdwatching forums, and others. Nevertheless, I'm glad to know such a forum exists. As Birdwatchers would say, a "Lifer" for me, today--saw something I had never seen (and I'm old) and managed to photograph it, but the only camera I had in the vehicle was a 35mm (not digital). So, I'll get the film developed, later. What I would call a HUGE red water turtle--huge for the variety, anyway, but nowhere big as a Snapper can get--about 18" long, maybe a foot wide, (I'm guessing 20 pounds) dug a hole that appeared about as big as a small, dinner plate, and kept plunking eggs into in as I watched. I couldn't count them all; I was actually trying to accomplish another task, but I kept checking, and in about 20-30 minutes I would say, she had covered them--and noticed me, as she was finishing. (During the egg-laying process, her eyes were glazed over, and she didn't seem to notice me, as I was taking pictures). I actually brought the Turtle home, a few miles. Found her at a newly abandoned farm, that is about to be developed. Developers either drained a large pond, or it went dry on its own, but not a drop of water in it. She had come from that area (by her track in the tall grass), about 500 yards, to the front of an abandoned barn, to lay her eggs in the sandy soil. She had also done this in the recent past, because I found an old nest, that looked like it had been dug up, no more than 50 feet from the fresh one--with remnants of egg shells scattered about--seemed like 12 to 15. Who knows, maybe the turtles hatched first, and something dug the shells up after. I saw the post by LAS23, "Turtle eggs--what shall I do". My post is similar, except I have NO control over the property where this occurred; and I happened to be there at a time when no one else was present. Doubt I'll find that situation, again. I have the turtle in an enclosure at my house--why, I don't actually know, but thought I would take her to where there really IS water--figured the bulldozers might make squashed turtle out of her. The eggs?? Hope predators don't get them tonight (this happened about 6:00 in the late afternoon, and about 90 degrees here, today, while she was laying eggs). Can someone knowledgable tell me what they would do; first, with the turtle, and second, should I try and do anything at all with the eggs? I can't think of anyway I can help the egg situation. I've seen these red water turtles many times around ponds, etc. (generally much smaller). They have a green, chain-looking design, on a yellow head. I'll do a seach to identify the turtle, properly, but figured someone might know the variety. Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored