SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midgette_gw

Tricky Leaves - both Potato Leaf-ish and Regular on San Marzano p

midgette
14 years ago

Hey all. This is my first post, but I've loved gleaning so much fascinating information and knowledge from the growers who frequent this board. Thank you for sharing it, it has certainly helped me out with my first garden.

This morning I was watering my plants, and noticed the new growth on one of my San Marzano plants (top/newest branches, some with typically shaped San Marzano fruit) had decidedly different leaves than the rest of the (same) plant. They are rounder, softer Potato Leaf-like leaves, while the original foliage is the standard Regular Tomato Leaf.

I made sure to determine that the leaves belonged to the plant I thought it did - the closest plants to it are Cherokee Purple (regular leaf), Black Plum (regular) and Marmande (regular) - the only potato leaf-er I have in the garden is Pink Brandywine SS, and the new leaves on the San Marzano don't look like the PB/SS leaves, but definitely don't look like the leaves on the rest of the plant or those on any of it's neighbors.

The San Marzanos were started from Seed and both of them have grown true to type thus far - again, regular foliage on both plants all season long, with the exception of this new branch.

So, I guess that is a long-winded way of asking a few simple questions: Is this normal? Is there a chance the newer fruit could be different than the older fruit? Is this a random quirk, or a true mutation? I'm so curious, and will try to get pictures up ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida