SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kstours

Racer eats bull snake tail first?

kstours
17 years ago

I live near Boise, Idaho on 5 acres (mostly dry) and I've had a very weird day cleaning my hay barn and tarps. Found 2 young bull snakes in the tarp plus a shed skin. Shooed the biggest one (just ate or pregnant? maybe 2 feet and fat) to a ditch. A little while later I look over and there's a big green racer moving down the ditch away from where I left the other snake, and it has something in its mouth that looks like the head of the bull snake sticking out? Colored the same, and didn't look like the tail! Then I examined where I'd left the bull snake in the ditch and there was a (gross!) baby snake all mushy that looked half-digested or newly born? I'm freaked. I don't like snakes (okay I'm scared to death of them) but try to co-exist with the non-venomous ones, especially since I saw my first rattlesnake on my property last summer. (Struck at me when I accidentally sprayed it with weed spray.) Don't mind the racers so much--in my experience they always run away (although I see on the site others find them aggressive)--but the bull snakes always coil and strike when I try to persuade them to leave an area, no matter how gently I do it.

I thought snakes always ate their prey head-first? Do snakes vomit? How big do bull snakes have to be before they can be pregnant? Live-bearing? Will racers and bull snakes help keep away the rattlers? How do racers kill if they're not venomous or constrictors? Any suggestions for getting the bull snakes to leave an area without coiling? Thanks for your help! I'm a snake newbie!

Comments (9)

Sponsored