SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

what happened to the 'polywogs'?

vieja_gw
10 years ago

Each summer our small backyard pond is visited every night with toads, toads, toads... & what a load mating chorus! Later we will find the egg strings in the pond water & then the hundreds of tiny polywogs clustered on the pond sides in the water & swimming about near the sides toward the bottom. They never seem to develop though.. one day the pond full of these tiny critters & the next day... ALL gone!! Where do they go? Not enough time to develop as toads & get out of the pond... just disappear over night! The goldfish never touch the 'toadies' so I know they don't eat them... or that many! Any ideas?

I see the big toads come up while I water the garden, flower beds, ets & all very fat so even in our worst drought ever, they seem to thrive! Our dogs are curious: when I tell them to 'go find the toad' they will go fnd one but never attempt to catch the toads... do they have no smell or one that is a deterrent? I can catch & hold them in my hands, they seem unafraid & they pose readily for my camera! But what a nightime racket in the pond!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County