SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worlad

Death of young cooper hawk

worlad
18 years ago

Yesterday morning my son and I spotted a young hawk on a divided road just laying there. we pulled over and there was a live and seemingly healthy largish young bird, a little investigation and we saw a big nest about 40' up a tree,It must have fell out. I picked it up (with a baseball mitt)and placed it in the V of a branch about 7'up on a large branch in the next tree. It was windy and the bird flapped its wings and settled in the corner of the tree. Looking up at the nest we could see another of its siblings sitting outside of the nest and movement in the nest itself.

As we were grtting back into the car we saw a parent coming in to the tree.

A few hours later we came back with our binoculars and from a distance saw the young hawk standing up on the branch and one of the parents standing about 3 branches above it looking very sleek and powerfull. as my son watched the young hawk defficated out a large streem of white stuff! to my boys amusement. All seemed well. Early evening we were going into town to have dinner and was passing the tree and saw that the hawk was not in its branch. we got out of the car and found it a few feet away in the center medium dead, with no obvious trama It was a sad end to our day.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer