SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicanarama

Kestrels are nesting in my gutter in Chicago!

tropicanarama
18 years ago

A pair of kestrels seem to have taken up residence on my Chicago city roof, and it looks as if they might have built a nest in my gutter. We aren't sure, but they're using our neighbor's TV antenna as a feeding perch, and from our bedroom window, we always see them flying back and forth from there onto our roof. (Our houses are only about 6 feet apart. It's very cool to watch them hunt at such close range - although the close-up spectacle of them pulling bloody sparrow heads off with their beaks every morning at 6:30 AM, and of finding baby squirrel bits in the garden beds every day, both is fascinating and takes some getting used to.)

What do you do when this happens? Our gutters are seriously overflowing and they have to be cleaned - but I'm worried that a worker will just toss a nest onto the ground. (And/or that he'll get his eyes pecked out in the process.) ...It's amazing that they're here, I just don't know how to leave them there and not have our basement flood and our house get wrecked.

thanks for your advice!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider