SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucypwd

salamander expert needed

lucypwd
14 years ago

I've been uncovering salamanders in my garden over the years when I collect leaf debris in the spring. In the past I have carefully covered them up with leaf litter and left them alone, but lately I've become interested in them. Would someone direct me to a good scientific source or web site that can give me more than an overview on salamanders? I can't figure out what kind they are and where on earth they could be finding standing water to spend part of their life cycle. I live in the city and can't imagine these little critters walking down the street to the neighbors man made pond...I have a small seasonal creek at the back of a 1/2 acre lot, but there is no still water. Surely they wouldn't live in running water....? How far can a slamander walk?

These salamanders are no bigger than 6" - usually smaller. I find them in the spring as I prepare the beds for planting. They are brown/black with no distinguishing marks. Their tails are not overly long. I've never seen one move - they stay perfectly still while I look them over and then set them down, but if I go back to check they are gone. Usually solitary, but have seen two together. The skin is very slick/wet looking - like jello. Sometimes I think I've grabbed a worm or a slug, but on closer examination it is a tiny salamander. I'm in the willamette valley in oregon and have the only organic garden in a sea of chemical yards. Any ideas what species? I looked on line and am thinking Ambystoma gracile or Ensatina eschscholtzii - it is not a rough skinned newt, or an Oregon Slender Salamander (Batrachoseps wrightorum.

Comments (4)

Sponsored