SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

what animal is killing my foxes?

gottagarden
17 years ago

I could not find a truly appropriate forum for this, but hope the experts who frequent this might have an idea.

I live in western New York state in the country on 40 acres. We have always had foxes here and I've enjoyed seeing them in the early morning. The other day while walking through the woods and past their den, I saw 2 dead foxes just 2 feet outside of their hole. One was just a cub and had obviously been dead a while longer than the adult.

Sorry to be graphic here, but I am just trying to provide information. The adult must have died very recently since the flies hadn't descended yet. Both the adult and cub had blood and some guts in the abdominal region, but did not look "chewed up". They were not eaten, they were whole. At first I thought someone must have shot it, but when I saw the cub the same way that didn't make sense. I have photos that I could post if that would help. (I know it sounds terrible, but I only took them in case it would help answer the question.)

Was it poison? We don't use any, but it's possible some neighbors do. Would that make their guts rot through?

Was it a coyote that just wanted to kill them? I have never seen or heard coyotes around here. They are in this state, but I've also been told that if coyotes are local you would most certainly hear them, and I never have.

Was it another fox?

I miss seeing my foxes, and I miss knowing that they are not out there getting the rabbits and mice that chew up my garden.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions