SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Thinking Ahead to Next Year!

9 years ago

I always start my plants from seeds I have saved. I used the same starting medium (name brand seed starting mix) as I always have, indoors, under lights on a heat mat. This year, without exception all my seedlings came up quickly and strong, gradually turned purple after putting out the first set of permanent leaves, and then they stalled. Self-diagnosed as a potassium deficiency, started fertilizing when I put them out to harden off before transplanting. No real recovery until they were planted in the ground.

Survival was questionable for the first couple weeks, but they did pull through. Fruit set seems light, and I have only just started picking. Compared to my neighbor who always buys his at the local farmers market, I am about 3 weeks behind. That could also be weather related as it has been rather a cool, damp summer. Still several other people are bragging about bumper crops.

My question is, why all of a sudden this year the deficiency? How can I prevent it? If it happens again, how can I cure it? Is there a better starting medium that I can use? In my growing cycle, this was a light tomato year, but next year is big time production and I can't afford the delay. TYIA!

Steve

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations