SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalroadie

Cost of closing down pool for winter?

socalroadie
16 years ago

I realize winter is almost over but I'm thinking ahead for next year. I have a large 50,000 gallon underground pool with pentair filter, pump, heater and solar. First year in the house the heater and pvc froze - big expense. Installed a freeze protector and it's working fine this winter except now I have another big expense - the electric bill. Temps fluctuate from the low 20's to the mid 60's here in the winter but it's not uncommon to go several days with temps in the 30's, especially when storms come in.

I thought about installing one of those new fancy smancy multispeed intelliflos and just having it set at a very low flow but not sure I want to go to that expense, especially since the 2HP Whisperflo on their now is only 2 years old.

So now I'm considering just shutting down the pool for the winter next year. Can somebody tell me what exactly this involves and what I can expect to pay a pool service guy to do this. I assume there's a cost to shut it down at the onset of winter and then another cost to start it back up in the spring. I would like to get some ballpark figures before I start calling around. Thanks.

Comments (5)