SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muckpuk

please help me save this 'Malaysian flying Lemur'?

muckpuk
16 years ago

This is a wild shot in the hope that anyone can send me in the right direction of knowledge.

I live in Phuket Thailand and at the Gibbon rehabilitation Project, some locals brought in a flying lemur. Or we think it is a flying lemur.

In the pouch was a baby, the mother died of internal bleeding (she was beaten by the locals and both there hands where tied and they where about to be eaten) and shock. The baby has now been with them for two/three days and they do not know what to feed it. We are looking for specifics. What plant or bugs does it eat or how can they substitute it? They contacted Singapore( I don't know what organisation ) and they told them that there has never been a case of a survival of a flying lemur in captivity, and to release it back to the wild. The people at the GRP do not feel the baby would survive that and feed her fluids. She looks alert and curious when I saw her yesterday. I am not involved with the GRP (yet) but offered to email some people around in search of information, because my internet connection is quicker.

If you know what kind of food this beautifull creature needs please let us know ASAP.

You can write me back but better would be if you can also cc an email to the GRP in phuket www.gibbonproject.org so that they get the info quickly.

I'll attach some pictures as well.

Please help!

They wrote me this yesterday:

So, she was still in her mother's pouch when they brought her in. We THINK she is around 6 months old. She is drinking infant formula AND eating solid foods such as chopped carrot and a few leaves. She mostly likes a formula we make which is electrolytes, glucose, soult and water.

She made a funny noise to begin with but has calmed down a lot now and is quite comfortable with us around her.

Thank you!!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions