SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Can environment cause fruit to be heart shaped?

sue_ct
9 years ago

I have an unlabeled yellow tomato that I think is probably Azoychka, but on one plant only it keeps producing heart shaped fruit. Not all fruit on the plant are heart shaped but I would guess 75% or more. It has really only had a few that did not look like that. Actually, it pretty much has to be Azoychka, because that is the only yellow tomato I planted. I used markers but the name washed off. The odd thing is, I have another Azoychka, in the same sized pot, 10 feet away that has not had any heart shaped fruit. Maybe they are not true heart shaped? I doubt that the seed I received was mixed because there are a very few non heart shaped on the plant, and it seems unlikely a genetic mutation since 100% are not heart shaped.

Now that I think about it I am sure I have seen Carolyn post that it can be caused by environment, but I just find it curious since an identical plant 10 feet away has none at all. If there is any difference at all, the one without the pointed ends might get a little less sun.

This post was edited by sue_ct on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 13:49

Comments (7)