SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
everythingirl1

Fusarium Wilt? I need help with tomato planting in Florida!

everythingirl1
15 years ago

Last year I planted 2 cherry tomato plants straight into our backyard of our new home. Within weeks, the plants had turned yellow and started to wither. They set a few fruits but eventually dried up and died. A neighbor told me that tomatoes did poorly here due to the heavy clay soils.

So for this year's growing season (just started here in FL), I did my research and set up a Japanese Tomato Ring and in addition amended the surrounding soil with about 100 lbs of organic matter (compost + mulch). I planted 6 plants last week - 2 Marion, 2 Better Boy and 2 Beefsteak. All allegedly disease resistant and "good" for my semi-tropic area. Today, I found one of the Marion tomato plants was wilted by 11 AM and had some yellow/brown spots on the leaves. One of the beefsteaks was also starting to yellow. I know it has been raining a lot lately to the point that the soil near the tomato plants has a greenish tint. I've been hoping it would dry out. So, are my plants dying due to fusarium wilt or is it too much water? And what can I do about it????

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!!

Comments (6)