SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbarr00

Tomato experts needed for PhD assistance

MBarr00
12 years ago

Hello experts. I have a science based question for a project I�m working on and I�ve come for help. After tons of online reading, I will conclude there is no "best" tomato, however, I would like to find a "best fit" tomato.

I have several metrics below, in order of most important to least important. Can the experts come forth with a recommendation to best fit my criteria? This is for my PhD studies and while the story I give is fictional, your recommendations will be held to test. I am very exciting for my taste buds :)

Story: a manned space mission to travel to a distant object (5 years to be exact) must be supplied with all necessities for survival. Food must be grown naturally in the space capsule and the criterion below are used to determine which plant species get to go on the adventure. Due to space constraints 2 tomato plants can come. One 2.5 feet high, determinate (the main crop food), and one 5 feet high, indeterminate (earth�s "tomato ambassador", heirloom?).

1. Taste: the team will be eating this plant day in, day out � to maintain the most critical aspect of space travel, sanity, flavour must be of utmost concern.

2. Yield: calling this number 2 makes it sound less important than 1� yield is equally important and is interchangeable with taste as long as a strong argument can be made to support either over the other. Cubic foot yield on an annual basis is the measuring criterion.

3. Sustainability: these plants must be either cloneable or produce seed (I imagine this is a given but it must be mentioned due to its inherent importance).

4. Ease of maintenance: the "farmers" will be competent people but their time will be better spent elsewhere. Pollination, pruning, hunting for hidden fruits, etc� let�s minimize these.

5. Resistances, immunities, heartyness is not needed. Nutrient, light requirements, humidity are all factors that can be controlled. These will be grown under "manmade" ideal conditions. Although, shelf life should be considered.

I have a feeling there will be debates, I�m looking forward to them :) Can we keep answers in this forum post to relevant answers, or relevant debunking of answers? Also, for the sake of science, can you list the reasons for your recommendation? This way, if you say "hi yield", other experts can confirm. Please don't be shy, you don't need to be right, just have a reason :)

Lastly, if you want to push the height limits from 2.5 feet to 3 feet (or 5 feet to 5.5,6 feet) please offer a compelling reason because these height restrictions are somewhat of a rule (we have roots to consider).

Thank you all so much. When the responses get too many to handle, I will summarize the group�s findings.

Matt Barr

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus