SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Its That Time Of Year--For Bald Eagles

chescobob
11 years ago

This morning, as I was getting in my car just outside my garage, I heard a crack in the woods about 100 feet away. I looked towards the noise and I saw an adult bald eagle carrying about a 6 to 8 foot branch in its talons. I assume it was taking it to enhance its nest which is about about a mile away.

I didn't see how the eagle got the branch but it was about 70 feet off the ground and flying out of the woods. As it flew, it dropped a bit in altitude before it flew off. Under the circumstances, the eagle must have taken the branch from the tree. Perhaps they have learned how to identify a weak or dead branch and snap it off from a tree. Or the branch may have snapped while the bird was perched on it and it simply decided to take it with it. The vultures here often snap dead branches from the weight of the bird(s) as they are perched.

About a week ago, I observed an immature bald eagle flying alone and then rolling until it was talons-up then returning to normal flight and doing a roll into another talons-up position. I guess they practice. Perhaps this was similar to 2 immature bald eagles that locked talons above my back yard, dropped together towards the ground, and then released talons and flew away together.

From late October to mid-Spring bald eagles are a common bird here in SW Chester County. (Last year I observed 10 at once above my back yard.) When I walk my dogs in the morning, I hear their high-pitched screams which then turn into their unmistakeable cackle.

Comments (6)