SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_is_home

Lovebirds wild in Duncanville TX?

texas_is_home
13 years ago

I have been visiting relatives in the Duncanvile area and i have seen these small flocks of small green birds. I got a better look later on and it looks like love birds. Their size is bigger than a parakeet but not bigger than a pigeon. Light green with a light peach face and a curved in beak (like a parrot)

Do you think they are wild or just passing through in some weird way?

Comments (7)

• donald lucius
    13 years ago

sounds like a breeding colony of budgies they were originally escapees but there are now breeding colonys all across the southern border of the usa where the winters are mild enough. Google wild budgies and you should see lots of photos to check

• orrin_h
    13 years ago

Peach-faced Lovebirds. There was a recent census of these birds in the Phoenix area.

-O-

• janie_may
    13 years ago

Yes, Peach faced lovies. I have lovebirds (I'm on a lovebird forum) and have been reading about wild colonies for several years. Especially in AZ. It's amazing that this African native can learn to live in climates that are very cold at certain times of the year. Just like the Conures in San Francisco.

• texas_is_home
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was surprised at first. i thought i was halucinating for a second! beautiful little birds. Do you think they are a danger to the other native aves?

• janie_may
    13 years ago

Other than some species wanting the same food source, I don't think they pose a danger to our native species.

• camp56
    13 years ago

The birds in Duncanville, Texas are monk parakeets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monk parakeets in Texas

• Laci Sudderth
    3 years ago

I heard a story from someone who went to duncanville high school. He said someone broke into a pet store in duncanville and released all the parakeets. This was in the late 1990's.