SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellsasha

Dogs and 4WDs (2 Questions)

ellsasha
16 years ago

I have never camped in the U.S. and will probably use cabins rather than tents when I start. IÂm retiring in a 2 years time and want to travel through the U.S. visiting National Parks, etc. I have a large dog (well behaved) who will travel with me (canÂt afford to kennel her during long trips, nor would I want to). I understand that the National Parks discourage folks bringing dogs and only allow them on leashes in places where cars can go, and I understand the reasoning.

Does anyone have experience of traveling with dogs and know if the cabins (basic not luxury) will "accommodate" them? I always travel with her collapsible metal crate, so, if I have to leave her inside for a few hours I can crate her, if necessary.

Question 2 - IÂm just about to buy a new vehicle with my nature travels in mind. IÂm told that in most National Parks a 2WD will suffice as most roads are paved. As I may not always be in the Parks, would I be best advised to invest in a 4WD vehicle? IÂd be interested to know whether you seasoned campers drive 2WD or 4WD vehicles.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County