SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buck1173

my first tomato garden - a disaster - link to pix

buck1173
16 years ago

if anyone is interested, here are pix of my tomato garden disaster:

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/tomato%20garden%20disaster/

hope this works. there are some images of disease, I can't figure out what it is anymore, if anyone has advice to offer I'm all ears.

first time posting here, just needed to vent I suppose.

I've never grown anything in my life, and got the tomato growing itch late this year (around july 4th).

Apparently, I've done just about everything wrong (the photos of the garden may look robust, but its just the facade.... everything on the interior is dying off. : (

So I've been researching and studying hard, I've learned that:

1) i bought diseased plants

2) I planted them too shallow (the stems are awfully spindly and cannot support themselves at all)

3) I didn't check my soil at all, just dumped some moderately composted horse manure in there

4) I planted WAY to many plants together (I've got 22 tomato plants crammed into a 20' row) I never guessed they would turn into a jungle

5) I didn't recognize disease until it was way too late (oh, and I started out watering overhead...)

6) I have no clue how to water appropriately.

So... now its just a race to the finish line for me I guess.

Getting some lovely tomatoes in, and the grapes are out of control.

I wish I could thin the plants back a bit, but I just simply cannot get in there any more... if I stick my arm in, I start knocking tomatoes down everywhere and it breaks my heart.

The grapes reached the 8' mark and the whole canopy collapsed down upon itself... I had no clue... the trellis I built was 6ft tall and I thought even that was way too tall.

The big boys, champions, celebrities and my poor little yellow pear are all growing over the fence to the neighbors yard... he's pleased about it though, so thats good.

the romas grow a nice bunch of fruit then the stem that supports the fruit collapses from the wieght... I'm in there every morning tying up bunches of fruit to help them keep getting fed..... but I simply cant keep up with them!

I thought gardening was supposed to be restful!!!!!!! : )

I love it, and have the gardening bug bad now... getting a little greenhouse, mapped out my plan for next year (expanding the garden to 40' x 4' with some 4x8' chunks spread out around the rest of the yard)... and I'm gonna do it right this time!

even though I'm tearing my hair out, its been so gratifying to have a tomato dinner from my very first garden.

thanks for listening! any replies and advice is very welcomed.

(btw, I've been treating my garden organically for septoria as thats what I think much of it is, but I've got this brown-edged leaf dying off thing happening too... I took samples to my extension office and they said it was too much sun?!?!? they only get about 6-7 hours a day of direct light... again, any advice is very appreciated.

thanks!

Comments (25)