SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverrowan

Torn stem - pic

silverrowan
14 years ago

I've been lax in staking my tomatoes (nothing adequate nearby that I can find, and I lack the tools to make supports) and I didn't find any problems with that until today.

I went to water my Isis candy and found the main stem had torn in three directions. Is there anything I can do to salvage the plant? two of the stems are quite thick and have quite a few blossoms already, while one is younger and with few flowers.

I've tied quite tightly at the base of the tear to try and prevent if from continuing down the plant, as well, I have put honey on the tear to try and keep it from picking up an infection.

This plant has so far been doing the worst of my three tomatoes, but I really want to try the fruit. This plant has a fair bit of purple veining, is setting few fruit and dropping most flowers, but has TONNES of vegetative growth! Because of the purple and dropping flowers bought a high Phosphorous fert for this plant today! The only one locally available was some sort of transplant/seedling fertilizer.

Unfortunately my plants are in somewhat small pots. I do have another pot of about the same size/touch smaller than the current pot that I could put a transplant in if I need to remove the torn branches.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I'll try and grab a better one when the sun isn't so harsh.

Comment (1)