SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

BAH...assorted incorrect seeds

anthony_toronto
14 years ago

I often don't mind mixups/stray seeds, have got a few keepers that way. However, this year, out of 50 plants:

1 green giant is not PL

1 brandywine sudduth is not PL

at least 1 cherokee purple has bright pink tomatoes

first cherokee greens just started ripening (and I should have been prepared for the worst because the shape was not quite like CP) but I have two orangey coloured fruits.

Strangest of all, one black krim seed in 2005 produced round fruits that had green shoulders when unripe and were solid bright pink when ripe. They were excellent, so I saved seeds. In 2006, saved seeds produced 6 or 7 plants with exactly the same fruit. In 2007, same thing. In 2008, one plant of 6 produced beefsteak, the rest were round. This year, 3 are round, 4 are beefsteak. All of these were grown from the seeds originally saved in 2005. What are the chances???

Also, received some saved purple haze seeds last year (hybrid, so did not know what to expect). Got some PL plants that produced egg-shaped fruits that were excellent, and some RL plants that produces small dark 2 inch beefsteaks that were delicious. Saved seeds from both. This year, the RL beefsteak produced 1 PL plant and the rest were RL...both are excellent so far. The egg-shaped PL produced what appear to be 3 different PL shapes -- one egg shaped like the ones last year, one thats covered with small tasty beefsteaks, and another PL that has fruits that look (and taste, so far) like black cherry (will save seeds from this and grow out several next year).

Hopefully all of the mixups will taste good...

Comments (5)