SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Jaguar photo??

rachel_frome_ky
14 years ago

Two days after hearing all those strange calls, coughs, and noises while we were camping in the screen tent (that matched much of a wild jaguar audio clip on http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/jaguar.html), we checked the pond Cuddeback game cam SD card.

It showed a strange close up photo of something with very long whiskers the night of the 8th, the same day we'd heard all those strange jaguar(?) calls.

From Kids

followed by about 30 flash photos of the empty pond taken at the same time, of which the shutter was closed on 7 or 8 of them..as though something was playing with or striking the camera to watch it flash.

After that, even though the cam readout said the batteries were strong, the cam wouldn't take any more photos, so I assumed the $234 cam I'd bought just to capture the jaguar was broken by that same jaguar. Still, DuBois put in fresh batteries this morning just in case all those flash photos had depleted the old ones.

After we saw the SD card on the 10th, DB and I walked to the end of the logging road and I found what I presumed to be jaguar tracks coming and going the length of it in the dead leaves, ending up behind the saddle shed before I lost track of them, probably because of the hard ground

From Kids
From Kids

We did see this cute little guy

8-10-09, Baby Eastern Box Turtle, 10:52 a.m.

From Kids

I still hope we can catch the jaguar on the IR Cuddeback cam mounted above the trail next to the pond. Hopefully, he won't break it also.

IR cam pics from 8-12-09. The IR cam photos are of poor quality, but at least it doesn't seem to be scaring animals as badly as the flash Cuddeback was doing

Bobcat, 5:39 a.m.

From Kids

Turkey hen and poult, 9:23 a.m.

From Kids

Wild turkey hen and poults, 9:32 a.m.

From Kids

8-13-09, IR cam, coyote, 6:11 a.m.

From Kids

For DuBois' Aug 11 birthday, my daughter and her boyfriend drove down from Lexington to join us for a canoe trip.

8-12-09, Carter Caves, DuBois canoeing on Smokey Lake, 4:30 p.m.

From Kids

When we passed close by a small sandbar, there was a juvenile Green Heron, Spotted Sandpiper, and a Greater Yellowlegs preening there. I had my inexpensive Canon Powershot with me but the batteries went dead.

We went up the feeder creek until our canoes grounded out, then we stepped into the creek and began skipping stones.

8-12-09, Carter Caves, John+Jerielle canoeing on Smokey Lake with us

From Kids

A Great Blue Heron flew in front of us and it was very peaceful.

DuBois and I about to head up the mountain to look for fresh jaguar tracks but we've not heard a peep out of the jaguar since Saturday morning, the 8th. But it's been raining most of the time and we didn't camp outside to listen.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County