SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
driftwoodtx

Are my plants terminally ill?

driftwoodtx
10 years ago

Had to go away for several weeks. Neighbor watered my plants. Came back to this (see photos). Even if I have to toss them, I'd sure like to know what happened so I can avoid it next year.

Branches dry up and fall off while suckers start in their place. The suckers slowly die. There is lots of fruit but the greenery is quickly disappearing so I don't know if they will even ripen. It's still developing new flowers, but few are setting.

It doesn't look like a fungus. Have had a minor case of psyllids. There is an unusual number of wasps busily buzzing around (compared to prior years)

All my plants are in pots. When I moved one of them, I saw an unfamiliar bug and am wondering if that could be the problem(s) (attacking the roots?). It was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long, medium brown, had lots of legs, a long tail and very long antennae. It scattered quickly when I moved the pot so I only got a quick look. Didn't look like a stink bug, any kind of beetle I've ever seen, or a thrip. I've scoured the "pest identification" sites for tomatoes but haven't seen anything like it.

{{gwi:1384384}}

{{gwi:1384385}}

{{gwi:1384386}}

{{gwi:1384387}}

{{gwi:1384388}}

{{gwi:1384389}}

All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Comments (4)